Search This Blog

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Full Moon Babies, Ubud, Bali

The Day I Helped Ibu Robin, The Midwife
Deliver 2 Babies.

Seems Like Yesterday


(Warning:  The following  may be a little graphic)


10 years ago, it was in the early morning that I decided to call Ibu Robin,
a woman born in America, who dedicated her life as a midwife in Bali

Since Robin does her work for free or by donation and relies on contributions
from tourists, I had packed a bag full of soft cotton baby blankets, talcum
powders and miniature toothbrushes donated by my dentist.

Ibu Robin answered the phone, " Hi Rose, hurry...come over right now as
I have 2 first time moms about to deliver" and "I can use your help".

At that very moment, I was flooded with memories of being an expectant
mom myself, while racing back to my bungalow to pack my donation bag. 
I also  negotiated with Wayan, who was lingering on the street corner, to
drive me to the newly built clinic, which happens to be on the other side
of Monkey Forest.

Arrival At The Clinic

After some searching for the Bumi Sehat Foundation in the village of
Nui Kuning, I finally arrived at the clinic, where it seemed strangely quiet. 
(perhaps the quiet before the storm?)
 
Moms Looks Like A Limp Fish

I entered one of the birthing rooms, wh
ere a mom was having contractions,
while semi-lying in a bathtub of lukewarm water, looking alot like a
limp fish. 


After about 30 minutes of contractions, we were called to another birthing
room to assist another  mom, who at that moment, was closer to pushing
her baby out.
 

Mom #1 Delivers Her Baby


Mom #1 was lying on a bed in a dimly lit room, surrounded by the love
of her family.  Her husband was gently coaching her and her older sister

was massaging her breasts and nipples, to help stimulate the next
contraction.  Ha...somehow, I couldn't imagine my own sister doing this
for me.

I was asked by Ibu Robin to wrap the baby when he comes out
in a cotton cloth and place him onto the woman's abdomen. 
Also I will be responsible for keeping track of 3 important delivery
times:  1. head delivery 2. full body delivery 3. placenta delivery,

as well as the baby's first cry. 

After a long period of pushing, grunting and profuse sweating
with her legs spread apart, steadily held in position by family, the baby's
head started to peek out as a tiny, round patch of black furry hair. 
Excitement and anticipation was in the air!  
I had my eye on the clock for the appointed delivery times, which
iIbu Robin said would be important at a later time for use in
Balinese astrology. 


I was ready! 

I felt my hands getting hot, wet and tingly as I  held the cloth, while
playing  a video in my mind of exactly how the baby should be wrapped
at the important moment.  


The only sound  in the room was a single rooster crowing
loudly outside the window and I wondered if  the rooster knew  what
was coming?

As Ibu Robin expected, the baby was positioned
in a  breach position, with the head facing up and the bottom facing

down. bu Robin needed to pull and tug on the head and maneuver
the shoulders and arms to get the baby in the right positions and to
comeout safely.  This was not a quick,  simple or easy task, but she
did so with great skill!    All I could think of was, Thank God for Ibu Robin!

When finally the baby came out, I could feel my own heart palpitations
because the dear little goddess was a dark blue color and didn't seem 
in any hurry to start breathing or crying.

I placed her immediately on the mom's belly. The baby was then gently
and lovingly massaged with the family hands.  I think everyone was
worried that the baby might not start breathing, and perhaps I was right,
because at that moment I thought it,  the family started praying out loud
for a couple of minutes, of what seemed like forever with
faces that looked panicked.  


Then something miraculously happened.  The father bent down and sang
a little Balinese song (Javanese mantra) into the ear of the baby. 

Within seconds, the baby started to meow like a tiny kitten, then revved
upinto a weak whimpering scream, and finally erupted into
a cry of the wild cat.

The whole room was suddenly filled with
JOY and humble prayers of thanks!


Break Time - Peanuts And Chocolate


After a hot, intensive delivery and hard labor,
I had a short break outside with Ibu Robin.

We rewarded  and replenished ourselves by nibbling on peanuts. 
Meanwhile a dear friend surprised us, opened up his secret stash
of M & Ms, and then  popped them into our expectant, happy  mouths.  


Mom #2 Delivers Her Baby

Soon, we were called to the birthing room of Mom #2.  Also, getting
limp and soggy in the tub, she had been moved to a bed, and was
enduring a long, hard labor.  The baby's black hairy crop could be seen
momentarily while pushing, but then was sucked back inside of mom,
after the contraction was over. 

Time seemed to stop and we were truly on "Bali Time".
After a discouraging amount of time (an hour?)
of pushing with the baby's head crowning but
going nowhere, it was clear that the baby's head was not going to fit
through the vaginal opening.  Both the mom's and the baby's
heart rates had gone up, which showed that they were both in distress. 

I must add here, that neither one of the laboring
moms made any noise. They were so quiet, like  little mice
and neither one of them had any anesthesia or
pain medication.  This matches up with the Balinese culture of always
holding a smiling face and never complaining.

At one heightened moment, Ibu lost her glasses, while I frantically
searched and eventually found them on far side of the room. 
It was time to cut the vagina.
I could already feel the pain, and I certain did not want to do it!


Finally It Happened!

Ibu Robin grabbed  the scissors and quickly made an episiotomy cut.

In a flash, the baby's head shot out like a little torpedo.
Then along with the baby's wet, coated  body, at least 1 pint of blood
came  gushing  out, pouring onto the handy, red plastic, bed sheet.  
The  baby was bluish in color and also
Not breathing or crying.  

Just as beautifully orchestrated as the previous birth,
the dad sang the little song in the baby's  ear, and
miraculously the baby started crying. 
The family all showed sighs of relief and
smiles on their faces. I too, was able to
take a large, deep welcoming breath.

 

However, this time both the mom and the baby were put on oxygen. 
Also, the mom needed a shot of Pitocin to stop the bleeding. 
Ibu Robin used a straw and her mouth to suction out the mucus
from the clogged up baby.   Meanwhile, multiple towels
were used to soak up the pools of blood and then Ibu Robin did some
fine handiwork of suturing up the vaginal incisional area .
Mom grimaced as I held her squeezing hand, but she  made no
complaints.

Eventually after a couple of minutes, the baby's color began
to become more pink but it was still a very intense situation.
It was obvious that this baby need close watching.

Some Thoughts After The Deliveries

Ibu Robin told me that both of these births were very unusual and
difficult deliveries.  I wondered if it might be because of the Full
Moon?  But that didn't make sense because the full moon in Bali
is always associated with good luck and a good  time for ceremonies.

The placenta,, considered  to be the baby's  birth twin and guardian
angel, would later according to Balinese tradition, be buried with
reverence and ceremony under a potted plant at
the front of the family home.   Also, a tiny piece of the umbilical
cord would be  ceremoniously placed inside a silver charm, which the
baby will wear as a necklace for protection.

While each one of these babies were being born, I thought about how
closely related Life and Death really are.  It seemed a miracle to me
when each one of the babies finally took their first breath.  At that very
moment, they chose LIFE. 

In all my 30 years of working as a Registered Nurse.......

I had never had the opportunity to deliver a baby.
I saw one or two deliveries as a student.
Of course, the delivery of  my own son 35 years ago, was a highlight in
my life. Here and now in Bali, within only a 3 hour period of time, I felt
blessed to help with the delivery of 2 babies.

What a magical place Bali is!

After the deliveries, I visited the squat toilet in the tiny bathroom and
wash out my only t-shirt in the sink, which was apparently
splattered with blood.  The air was scorching hot and misty,
and I didn't mind putting it back on, while it was soaking wet.  
Ok...I had a new "wet t-shirt" look!
 
The rain had stopped.

Before I finally left the clinic, the babies were happily nursing at their
mom's breasts and the families were  joyfully hugging
me with gratitude.

Just then, I got a glimpse of why Ibu Robin does
her work!

As I looked up, I saw the most beautiful Full Moon
glowing brightly in the sky!







No comments:

Post a Comment