Search This Blog

Friday, November 28, 2014

First Morning Walk Through the Rice Paddies, Ubud, Bali

As soon as the morning light filtered into my room, I forced myself to get up and out of the door, which is usually difficult because  I am not a morning person.   I headed out to the rice paddies when it seemed that most people were still asleep.  One of my favorite things to do is to take long quiet walks, usually alone, to explore the off beat  paths, when the light is soft and only the sounds  of nature are heard.  There are the cackling sounds of bugs, the chirping of birds and the rushing of water throughout the old Bali  irrigations canals circulating the rice paddies. 


There is so much peace and serenity out in the back roads and fortunately the Balinese are agreeable to photos, like the man above.







Along the path, a man  offered me a coconut.  Silly me, I thought he would climb the tree just like  remember in the past.  But  instead he had several coconuts piled up in his secret hideout. With proficiency, he cut off a slice from the  top and then a slice off the bottom finally inserting a straw, handing it to me with a wide stained tooth grin.  I was told later I  paid him twice too much - 20000 rupiahs ($1.5 dollars) and apparently I forgot to bargain the price, feeling blissed out in the rice paddies.




0

This girl is making offering, wafting incense and repeating mantras for the Gods in her family temple.  The dog apparently wants to be part of the ritual.  He is one of the lucky ones, a well fed, sweet little pet,
and one that will not be cooked for dinner.  Yes, in Bali, dog meat may be on the menu but it is usually in the country at local food diners and not in the tourist areas.



These are typical offerings that are created by the women of the house and placed up onto the family alters, at the front entry of the house, on the ground and other locations.  Sometimes, like the one above they add a cigarette, a piece of candy or a can of soda with the intention that  they will make the Gods happy. At the very least an offering is made before each meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment