Search This Blog

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Ketut, Boat # 9 - Searching For Dolphins, Lovina, Bali





Dolphin Watching With Ketut
 
I took the shuttle bus up to Lovina, North Bali
and with a little luck, guess who I found?
It was Ketut.
 
 
After arrival in Lovina, at the north coast of Bali,I was excited when
I finally found Ketut and his boat # 9 Bonanza, whom I met during my
previous visit.  His work is taking out the tourists on his boat, just
before sunrise at 5:45am. to see the dolphins.  He is jolly, has a dynamic
personality, is a little rough around the edges, but definitely a boatman,
a fisherman kind of guy!
 
This is the  same Ketut that was kind enough to invite me to his
daughters wedding and tooth filing ceremony 10 years ago.
It was a large festive event with a gamelan band, one that I will
never forget and always appreciate.

He looks much the same with his wide, jolly smile and wild,
animated spirit.  To give him some extra business, I found another
tourist and took the dolphin excursion for a second time this week
for 60,000 rupiahs ($5.00) each.  
 
Ketut’s boat is not the same heavy wooden boat from before. 
However, he still has the lucky # 9 boat‘as well as a # 9 k
home address. His current bright green fiberglass boat, named
“Bonanza” # 9,is  one that doesn't leak, one that he can manage to
pull in and out of the shore single handed. I am always amazed
when he detaches the oversized, heavy motor from his boat each
day, carrys it on his broad shoulders, and lays it carefully under
the trees, where it remains untouched all night.





Ketut's Boat # 9
"Bonanza",  Lovina, Bali
For the dolphins or info, his number is .... (6281338221175)
They usually text in Bali since it's cheaper for them.
Ketut texted me at 5:20 a.m. to wake me up.   Soon afterwards, we
cruised out to the Bali Sea for at least 20-30 minutes  where there
were 30 other boats drifting and waiting for the dolphins.  When a few
dolphin fins are first discovered. the boats simultaneously rev up their
engines and strategically rush to  get close. It was disturbing to me that
the boats are loud, aggressive and get dangerously too close to the
dolphins.

I am wondering why the dolphins put up with it? 
Why don’t they find another quiet location instead of coming back
each a.m. to the same boat location, repeating the same game each
morning when they repeatedly run for their lives, away from the crazy
boats? 



Always plenty of dolphins enjoying themselves
I  noticed a few jumping tuna fish…..were they going to be breakfast
for the dolphins?
 
Or perhaps, I wonder…..do the fun loving dolphins enjoy running
from the boats??

Please leave a comment if you have had any dolphin experiences.
  
 

1 comment:

  1. The tuna are the feeding grounds for the dolphins... The dolphins also lead the local fishermen to the tuna

    ReplyDelete