Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Meeting Lempad's Family: Legendary 116 Year Old Artist

I wasn't aware that I had met the family of one of the most important artists
in Bali, the architect and sculptor that helped to design a beautiful Ubud.

 
 
Luckily for me, the Lempad family was the very first family that I met 25 years
ago. It was my very first day in Bali, the morning of the ceremony "Saraswati"
and I needed to buy a sarong before I'd be allowed into any temple.

At that time,  my rented bungalow was located on Jl. Gootama, just a dusty, dirt
road with small groups of men squatting and spitting on the roadside, while petting
their cocks (the ones with feathers)  They were getting them ready for a favorite male
pastime of cockfighting, which continues to be popular even today.

I walked a few minutes and "accidently" arrived at the Lempad's small sarong
shop. The shop  on Jalan Raya is called "Yudes Toke", which is in  front of the
family compound, adjacent to their small art gallery area.  On that day, I honestly
felt like I had  been adopted by this generous family.  After my  sarong purchase,
the  girls carefully dressed me up  in their tiny bedroom, wrapped the  material
tightly around my hips, loaned me one of their kabaya lace blouses and  a sash,
so that I was dressed properly for the temple ceremony.

They Sent Me To My First Balinese Temple Ceremony.

While I felt like a school  child having just been groomed by loving parents, they
sent me off walking on my own to the temple for the Saraswati celebration.  It felt
like I was 5 years old again on my first day at school. The only thing missing was
my school lunch box and a thermos bottle. 

"Just follow the trail of women who are wearing sarongs and balancing the offering
baskets on their heads", they said.  Afterward a couple of  hot, thirsty and awesome
hours at the ceremony, I managed to return my dehydrated self back to the Lempads'
house, where I gratefully returned their clothing and received my own.  I must have
looked hungry because they offered me some lunch, which was  a banana leaf plate
topped with a mound of Nasi Goreng, (Indonesian fried rice), accompanied by a cup
of sweet syrupy tea.  At that time, everyone ate with their right hand,  rather than
using  utensils and to me, it  always felt rather slimy and unclean.  Today in Bali,
using one's  hand to eat is still very  common, but you will  occasionally see a
Balinese use a fork.

As if one ceremony wasn't enough for me,  I was then invited to yet another huge
ceremony, which included several 100s of people later in that evening.  Although
thrilled, jet lagged and near heat exhaustion, I didn't want to miss a ceremony. The
lesson I learned  quickly in Bali was that everything takes a  great deal of patience.
After going to both ceremonies, all within  the same day on my first day, it seemed 
to me I had at least a week's worth of new cultural activities and people.  



Inside the Lempad family compound, Ubud, Bali


They Generously Gave Me a Lempad Painting.

A couple  of  years later, while paging through my tour book, I finally  discovered
by reading a  page on the artist "Lempad", that the family who befriended me was
the legendary Lempads family.  I matched up their name to the oil painting that they
had given me  which was signed, "Lempad".   At the time it was  given to me, they
hardly knew me and yet  let me chose  any painting in the  gallery, in the same way
that their grandfather used to give away his paintings.  Of course, I was being overly
practical because my first thoughts were to chose a small painting that would fit into
my suitcase.  Although it was signed "Lempad", it could have easily been painted by
another family member.

I felt so lucky to be immersed by this family, who were ever so kind, again much
like their  Lempad grandfather. From the very first  day that I stepped foot on the
island, I  felt as if God was looking out after me.  Or perhaps, it was the magic of
Bali that  lured me and laid out  the red  carpet wherever I went.  I thought  it was
interesting when I talked to other tourists who told me they had similar experiences
and in fact, there have been several books written on the same topic.
 
My fascination with I Gusti Nyoman Lempad stems from  the first day that I
stepped out of my bungalow 20 years ago, when I was privileged to meet and
spend priceless time with his grandson and family.

Lempad was a well known Balinese artist that lived to the ripe old age of 116
years.  He didn't appear to have any diseases as one might expect for his many
years and  he simply died of "old age".  It's not  known exactly the date he was
born, but it was around 1862 and he finally died in 1978, on a day he had chosen
well in advance.

In Bali, the  age of 116 years old is extremely 
unusual, especially at  that time
because the average age expectancy for a man was only 60 years old. According
to 2010 statistics, the  age expectancy increased to 70.67 years.
Jarkarta Post News

Unlike in some countries, the elderly in Bali are revered and honored, carrying
with them an aura of wisdom and memories of times past.  Living to an old age
is uncommon, especially in Bali's harsh tropical climate, where disease has long
been rife and medical treatment poorly available.  However, the Balinese do not
seem to be overly obsessed with having a long life, like they do in other countries.
Perhaps this is  because the Balinese  expect to be  reincarnated soon after death
and  then  to start a new life  within the same extended family. This belief offers
much peace for the family and certainly seems like a more comforting way to look
at life and death!

Of course, it would be a nightmare  if you were born into an abusive or horribly
dysfunctional family and had to do it all over again with the same family!

Lempad's Secret of Longevity.


Second Wife, Lempad at  age 116, and Son

According to John Darling's research that was written up in his 2014 book
"Lempad Of Bali":

     " Lempad was often  questioned by others to tell them  the secret to his
      longevity. He told them that as a young man, he visited an old respected
      sage who gave him  some wise advice. The sage  told Lempad that if he
      maintained a simple life, kept clear of politics and observed his sometimes
      demanding  responsibilities  to the community, he would live a long and
      fulfilled life."

      "During the many chaotic years in Bali, which included  invasions by the
      Dutch and  the Japanese, as well as  rivalries between villages, Lempad
      retreated into a meditative state and produced almost no works of art.  At
      that time, Lempad's family was sure  that he would soon die.  But he later
      explained that the  disarray of the world obliged  him to turn inwards in
      search of personal serenity."

When he was well into his 60s, Lempad began to reinvented himself and started to
do ink drawings, for which he became famous, in addition to his earlier architectural
masterpieces. During  his later creative years, he  was prolific with unique drawing
creations that were infused with Balinese culture and created for tourists rather than
the locals. 

Based on results of Lempad's long life, he certainly did an excellent job in following
the sage's advice!  Looking at the whole of his life, perhaps his secret to longevity
was a  combination of many things:  Creating beautiful  artwork  and reinventing
himself at 60, following the sages  advice of  keeping life  simple, spending years
meditating in silence during the Balinese political years and therefore staying out
of politics, and  being a major contributor to the Ubud community, while well into
his 90s. 

Lempad's Art.

Lempad created many  great works in his lifetime.  He was  an architect, a stone
sculptor, and an artist who produced hundreds of linear drawings, built a beautiful 
Ubud temple, and many palace sculptures.  As a prolific artist, he helped transform
Ubud into the beautiful village that it is today. He befriended and spent many years
living with the  royal family while they utilized his skills  and creativity. His style
evolved  over the years into a very fluid style.  Museums Puri Lukisan and Neka
Museum currently have an extensive collection of Lempad's drawings.

Museum Puri Lukisan, Ubud, Bali
Neka Museum of Art, Ubud, Bali



Lempad drawing, "Dancer Emerging From Trance" 1937

Lempad drawing, "Kecak Dance" 1939
Ink, cinnabar and gold leaf on paper.

Lempad's Architecture.

Pura Saraswati: This temple were built in the 1950s by Lempad at the command of
Ubud’s prince, in honor of Saraswati, the deity of learning and  knowledge. It is set
in a water garden, with a lotus pond as the centerpiece with fine carvings by Lempad.   


Pura Taman Saraswati, Ubud, Bali

Puri Saren:  The  grandeur of  Ubud’s royal palace dates from the 1890s.  Lempad
is responsible for the palace walls and the carved split gates (Candi Bentar), at both
the palace and Saraswati temple.

He Lived A Fascinating Life.

Lempad was a very generous man and was known to often give his paintings away
with no expectation in return. At the age of 20 he married a woman who was unable
to bear  children, which then  resulted in  his marrying her  younger sister, with the
three of  them living  harmoniously and  raising their 5 children.  Contrary to  the
current peaceful  times in Bali, there were many  years of conflicts and battles
within Bali.

During the same time, there was also much palace intrigue with the rajas or kings
who had as many as 50 wives, all eager for their sons' advancement.  Jealousy and
discreet poisoning  often took place. Whenever a raja died, many of  their devoted
wives would often times throw themselves on the funeral pyre.  Supposedly, they
wanted  to be with their  husband/king on the other side, where they  hoped they
would be reincarnated happily together into their next life.

Lempad Finally Announced It Was Time To Die. 

During the previous  year,  he carefully selected  an auspicious holy day on which
he planned to die. The day was April 25, 1978, the day of "Kajang Kliwon" known
as a good day to contact the spirits.  It was a time when the sun was in it's cycle at
its northern  most point close  to the sacred mountain, where it is believed the god
and ancestors dwell.

During the evening before his death, he asked his daughter to bring offering to the
temple.  Then on his dying day, he called his family together, asked them to bathe
and dress him, bade them farewell and then with his family around him, he let go
of his life. It was an incredible, beautiful example of conscious death. 

Then in  true Balinese form, there were preparations for a  huge celebration.  The
entire village became actively involved in creating pieces of art for his cremation
ceremony. To the Balinese people, death is not normally a time of great sadness
but merely a transition within the endless cycle of re-incarnation. 

The death rituals and accompanying cremation ceremony paraphernalia needed to
be correct in every way for the successful destruction of his material body and for
his soul's highest liberation.

During  his cremation ceremony, the people were  seen as joyful, laughing and
having fun, while parading along the road carrying huge pieces of artwork, such
as a bull and a tall tower, with a gamelan band  playing music, all the way to the
cemetery. The body was burned and his ashes were released to the sea during the
next morning.

Lempad's body was placed in a black bull sarcophagus.

The bull was then taken to the cemetery and torched into flames.
                                      Click here for a fascinating 5 minute video of Lempad

The video, "Visiting a 116 year old man", shows Lempad and priceless footage of
Bali in the late 70s, with the entire community celebrating his life at the cremation
ceremony.

My Return Visit To The Lempad Family.

The eldest of Lempad's three grandsons, I Gusti Gede Udayana, still lives on the
main road with his wife and family, in the same family compound  that is over a
century old. The only grandson who thrived as an artist is Gusti Nyoman Sudara.

At this time in 2014, it had been ten years since my last visit.  I think the family
hardly remembered me, but when I showed them copies of our photos together,
their eyes lit up and I was immediately invited for tea.  While we sat yogi style
on the family outdoor platform, the wife of Lempad's grandson gave me a page
by page  tour of  the 2014 large hardback book, "Lempad of Bali",  which was
written as a tribute to the grandfather.

Because her  English is far better than I ever remembered  it and coupled with a
slight improvement of my own Indonesian, it was the first time ever that we had
a  meaningful conversation.   Lempad's  grandson is  also a friendly, humble man
who is  missing part of  one leg, due to being hit as a pedestrian  long ago on the
main road. Their two daughters  work in the intimate clothing fabric shop in front
of the family compound. It is a small Aladdin's room of jewel colored scarves, silk
sarongs, and laces.  It happens  to be the same clothing shop where I bought  my
first sarong.

Unlike the rest of Bali, time may have stopped for them, or so it  seemed to me at
the time of my visit. Their shop continues to be a miniature size and everything in
the family compound looks almost the same as it did ten years ago. 

If I had looked further or stayed longer, I might have noticed that the family all had
smart phones and oversized flat screen TVs.  For me, that would be too many modern
changes within  a short time and  it would  be very disturbing.  But I  didn't observe
anything like that and for now, I'd like to keep my illusion that they are an authentic
example of traditional Balinese culture.

How You Can Also Visit The Lempad Family.


To visit the Lempads, look for this sign on Jl Raya
Ubud, Bali

Lempad's house can be easily found on the busy street of Jl. Raya Ubud, which is
almost opposite of Nomad restaurant and across the street from the market. There
is no  admission fee and it is very casual  with their front gate  open and friendly.
The family still lives there and it continues to be a traditional  family compound
rather than a museum. There are hanging cages everywhere with exotic birds and
roosters, well  manicured  Bonsai trees, and  carved wood  art pieces.  Although
many things are left in disarray and appears disorganized, the property has a true
Balinese feel to it.

They are a  very generous family, following  the footsteps of their grandfather
Lempad. Since the home compound is always open and welcoming to strangers,
the family will  gladly show you around and answer  your questions about their
grandfather.

Be sure to buy something from their shop, like a sarong or a scarf to show your
appreciation. Or  better yet,  bring the Lempads something  from home as a gift,
something to give back for the kindness they have imparted to you and so many
others.

The latest book, "Lempad of Bali"  by John Darling. printed in 2014, has a
collection of 500 drawings and essays.

Videos: "Lempad Of Bali"

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Five 10-15 minute youtube videos of Lempad and of his elaborate cremation                              ceremony. You will be mesmerized by the traditional Balinese culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment