Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Visit With Wayan, "Eat Pray Love", "Traditional Balinese Healing Center"

Wayan was the healer in "Eat Pray Love", by Elizabeth Gilbert and an actress played her role in the resulting movie.
I did not search for the current 86 year old, toothless, medicine
man, “Ketut Liyer” to have a palm reading.  I understand he can be
rather silly, flattering and funny, often causing one to do some
serious belly laughing with him. (as in laughter yoga)   Nor did I search
for a Hot Brazilian Lover, like Javier Bardem, who in the movie was
discovered by Julia Roberts at a Balinese expatriate party.   

But, I did search for "Wayan", the Balinese 
woman healer and  owner of the “Traditional Balinese Healing Center” in Ubud.
It was only a few perspiring blocks from my homestay.
The center was humbly located on Jl. Jembawan, near the post office
with a faded overhead sign.   Fortunately, I arrived at the clinic
immediately before a torrential downpour rain, the first one in 2
months.  My pathetic, broken umbrella, used previously
only to keep the sun off my face, was keeping me somewhat dry,
except for walking through the nasty looking puddles.
Wayan Nuriasih is a real life character, portrayed in the 2006 memoir
and later the movie, “Eat Pray Love”, which  was adapted from the
book.  In real life, Wayan and author Elizabeth  Gilbert, became
friends through her treatment and interesting discussions about men. 


Wayan  apparently  received a chunk of money  from the film
company, which gave  her some security and also a new mini van.
And she was also able to build a 2 story house, surrounded by rice
paddies, which was financed by the author Ms Gilbert and the
author’s friends.  Thanks to her fortuitous meeting, Wayan has
become a very lucky healer.

Which is so great because she no longer has to  live  hand to mouth, 
like most Balinese.   Although she still works long hours, she
devotes herself to a  line up of clients.  According to an article I read,
she provides free care for the Balinese poor and finds time to support 
her neighbors. 

She seems to have a devoted following and operates on an unpredictable
time frame. One does not make an appointment, but must show up and
wait for an unknown amount of time, which requires a bit of patience.
I noticed that she was assisted at the center by  her daughter “Tutti”
who is an older version of the sweet and adorable girl who played her part
in the movie.  She could be 16 years old?

Wayan  has become known for her ability to accurately diagnose a
myriad of physical ailments and prescribe her version of treatments
for them. For a consultation fee of 400,000 rupiahs, 30 euros or 32 usd
she may ask you what your symptoms are, to write down your birthdate,
looks at your palms and then read your energy intuitively. Afterwards,
you peel off your damp Bali clothes, wrap up in a sarong and climb up
to the mysterious upstairs treatment area. The session might last an hour
or it might last all day long and you pay accordingly.

The treatments  usually include a deep tissue massage of 2 or 3
people at a time working on you,  turmeric teas and herbal scrubs,
a mostly raw food lunch, and recommended herbs, supplements,
nutrition advice and herb packets to take home.  I've read of cases where
her daughter Tutti will drive a client to her grandfather's rural house
(who is also a healer) to remove dark stuck energies or she
might suggest going to a high priest for a treatment and a ceremony.
Be prepared for whatever might happen.

I  was thinking about having the 80,000 rp ($7.00 u.s.d.) lunch which
would have been red rice, sprouts, and assorted raw foods, labeled on
paper with the correct vitamins. But the center’s two small tables were
taken by clients and while the facility was cluttered and cramped, it was
not necessarily a place I'd choose to eat.  

I already knew I didn’t want a treatment because I could not even
think about the idea of 2 or 3 people massaging me at the same
time (6 hands) with the deep pressure with possible pounding or thumping.
That would be a torture treatment for me and I know that it is an
important part of the treatment.  But I'm happy to report what I've learned
here in this blog.  

 I was reminded  that this place is not a luxury spa, but is located
in an old, well used, somewhat run down building with the usual
crawling geckos and the occasional rat visitor.  It is an original
Bali treatment center,  exotic in a strange ancient sense, as if the
walls are secretly whispering their secret remedies. This is certainly
not anything you would ever see in one of those  attractive
advertisements, inside a yoga magazine.
At the time I was visiting,  there were two European girls sitting
at one of the two tables having an herbal tea.  When I spoke to
them they said they had completed the treatment only moments
ago and felt it was a very good treatment.  They both looked a
bit pale, a bit spongy and oily and yes…very relaxed.  I wouldn't
say, however, that they looked radiant.
Other recommended healers can be found by asking at the restaurant,
“Bali Buda”, www.Balibuda.com (directly across the street from
Wayan's treatment center)  or you can have a treatment with Ketut at
”Ubud Body Works". www.ubudbodyworkscentre.com or ask at "Bali
Spirit", www.balispirit.com.
Although Wayan is motherly, caring  and certainly appears to be
genuine in her intentions, I will warn you that I have  read some mixed
internet reviews but most of them seem to be good.

I would recommend anyone going for a treatment to begin by
trying  to remain open to the healing process itself,  to go with the
flow, an open mind,  to breathe deeply and to try to enjoy the entire
Balinese experience. 
If you are lucky enough to be spending time in Bali, why not tap
into the beautiful healing, magic that is everywhere present and
particularly during the time of the full moon.  You will probably be
drawn to the right kind of treatment and find the right healer for you,
whether it be Wayan, another healer, or even a traditional healer "balian".

There is so much to offer in Bali.....and that's why I love it so
much here!

(Update: Ubud Medicine man Ketut Liyur died on 6/13/2016 and was said
to be 100 years old.  His family continues to give healings and sings their 
mantras all the way to the bank.)








6 comments:

  1. MysticRose: your adventurous, you would enjoy any area that is mysterious and even complex. Plus, your very brave. I am to much of a coward, I couldn't adventure into unknown territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do admit that I am attracted to mysterious, off the beaten track, locations and people. Yet, I too feel like a coward sometimes and wish I could be more courageous, like some of the people I blog about. I believe it is possible that you too could venture out into the unknown, within a safety net. Sometimes, it helps to take a good friend along or sign up for a tour with a small, back roads tour group. Try to push slightly beyond your comfort zone. Then afterwards, totally reward yourself with Chocolate or Ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She brainwashed me and took advantage of my body. Do not go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer traditional medical treatment like this to western doctors. Balinese traditional medical treatment sees us as human with soul, energy and emotion not just a chunk of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, I was fortunate to have healing sessions in 2016 with Wayan, assisted by Tutti. Generously Tutti gave me the beautiful red sarong used on the table where massage was given. I also saw Ketut which did some healing on me, and then we visited another healer, it was a three day session. and we paid a lot more money but goodness it was so worth it I tried in vain to contact Wayan just now to check on her welfare and the threat of volcano eruption but sadly, her email address is no longer valid. Great time in Bali on a yoga retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.
    traditional healers in Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete