Search This Blog

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Danger At The Dirty Duck Diner, Ubud, Bali

Danger At The Dirty Duck Diner

A yummy, relaxing lunch ended up being embarrassing and
painful, but the experience and insights I received, were actually
positive for me.

I took the long walk down Monkey Forest Rd, curving past the
Monkey Forest entrance and taking a left onto Hanoman Rd, to
end up at a favorite restaurant of mine. The Bebek Bengil (Dirty
Duck Diner)  is historically famous for it's delicious deep fried,
"Crispy Duck" and the relaxed, laid back view of the surrounding
rice paddies.
bebekbengil.com



Famous Crispy Duck, Dirty Duck Diner, Ubud, Bali



Frog Fountain Bebek Bengil, Ubud, Bali
 

During the prior weeks, before my departure to Bali, I had
carefully nursed a sore foot back to health with liniments and
a pair of good walking shoes.  The hip was acting up also,
but that's another story and it was only temporary.
 
You would think then everything is fine?
But no.




Entryway, Dirty Duck Diner, Ubud, Bali
  
After finishing a tasty "Crispy Duck" and thick mango lassi, I
exited the diner  to the street sidewalk, stepped onto an uneven crack
and without further warning, stumbled to a hard landing on the
cement. You would have thought I had a few beers!

Reminiscing about it now, I will sometimes smile and feel a bit of
pride, because I feel that my fall was gracefully done. I almost always
do things gracefully without even trying. However, aside from
looking good, the ugly reality was that I twisted  my left ankle and
banged up my right patella bone (knee) as I landed onto the cement.
 
Immediately after it happened, three eager to help, cute Balinese
guys hovered over me, pulled both my arms to spring me up to
my feet.  My first thought was,

"Am I Looking Bad For The “Dirty Duck Diner"?
 
At first,  I was surprised I could walk fine and I was actually feeling
a bit frisky:)  But shortly afterwards, the knee was giving away to
pain and it felt like I might collapse.  I quickly reflected on the long
walk back, complete with  dirt paths and broken up sidewalks.

Funny how instincts can kick in.
When I saw a nice young man, aged 30 or so, riding his motorcycle
and going in the direction of my homestay, I simply pointed to my
knee, grimaced my face and with my best smile, I bummed a ride.
 
The Balinese rarely refuse, so in a minute of time,  I had wedged
myself onto back of his motorcycle and we took off.   I didn't think
much about safety, until after afterwards and then I was aware that
he wore a helmet and I didn’t.
 
Halfway back to my homestay, the Bali guy decided to take a little
diversion that worried me and stopped abruptly at a construction
site. Apparently, he needed to report to his boss before taking me
home!
 
The good news is that we made it back safely, although I was
freaking out on a busy stretch of road, crowded with weaving
motorbikes.  I guess I've worked too many years as a nurse and
have seen my share of bloody head injuries.

When he finally deposited me back at my homestay, he shook his
head adamantly to my offer of 40 rupiahs. (a bit over $3.00 U.S.)
But after twisting his arm a little bit, he smiled and took the cash.
Of course,  I was more than grateful to him for the ride home. 
The Balinese always seem happy to help, almost as if they know
that they are adding to their own good karma.
 
A few days later, my bruised up ankle and knee were back to
normal.

Ok, My Intentions Are Good.....But

I thought perhaps, I might spend an hour weaving together some
offerings, add creative placement of flowers and food, wrap a
tight sarong around my ample hips, add a sash and a see through
lace cabaya blouse, then balance the basket of offerings on my
head, while walking the long hot road to the Campuan temple. 

There I'd kneel and bow down at the temple, light some incense,
and offer prayers of gratitude for my quick recovery. Then after
being sprinkled by holy water from the priest and sipping the water
pours into my cupped hands, I'd  paste a few kernels of sticky  rice
onto my forehead, tuck a white flower behind my ear and trek back
up the hill back to my homestay.  Of course, I'd arrive drenched
and dripping wet with perspiration. And then, if I were Balinese,
I'd spend the remainder of the day making more offerings,
cleaning floors, shopping  and preparing food for the family.

It certainly was a good thought to make the trip to the temple,
even a holy thought.
But...... the action did not take place.

And right then, I was grateful, I wasn't a Balinese woman.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment