Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Ubud Bali Writers And Readers Festival 2014

 
Another Interesting Day In Bali 


I usually wake up about 7am and the family serves breakfast at 8am, but I always feel a conflict that I should try  to get up earlier so that I can beat the tropical heat.  Bali is 6 degrees from the equator and humid 85 - 87 degrees F all year around.  After getting dressed in my hopefully cool attire,  I go down a flight of stairs to the ground floor, pass by a small swimming pool on the left, the family outdoor temple on the right and stop at the partially outdoor kitchen.  It is there that I greet the family "Selamat pagi". (good morning) and say that I'm ready for breakfast.  Then I climb another flight of stairs to their upstairs restaurant which overlooks the front little street area.  That's where I wait for my bowl of fresh fruit, usually papaya, pineapple and bananas accompanied by either green banana pancakes topped with toasted coconut or  an egg French toast. For the drink, I choose ginger tea with real clumps of ginger soaking at the bottom of  the cup. There is also the choice of  "Bali" coffee but it is not filtered well and becomes thick at the bottom.  The neighbor has a very weird rooster for which they paid 3,000,000 rupiahs ($250) and he has a very unusual crowing sound, which has started to get on my nerves.  As for his crowing,  I suppose that you can either love it or hate it.   It has been hinted that the family hates it, and although they do not outwardly complain, they believe the weird crowing  gives them bad dreams and that they have no choice but to be tolerant.

At breakfast, I do have a nasty little habit which does not blend in well with the traditional Bali ambience.  It is true that I take up my mini laptop computer to breakfast and eat while I'm checking email.  Reflecting back ten years ago, there was no wi-fi and I have a clear memory of  the dial up internet, which was painfully slow making  my head spin with impatience.

And the reality here in Bali is that there is free wi-fi, even at the tiny homestays and the Balinese are texting while driving their motorbikes.

This week is the week of the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival and for me, it means that there are all kinds of free activities, films, book launch events and great entertainment, as well as workshops for a hefty fee.
www.ubudwritersfestival.com


As a nice surprise, there was one event right outside the entry door of my homestay on 24 Jalan Kajeng. There was live traditional music and dance from Sumba, Indonesia and included Balinese sweets and drinks, all prepared by my homestay family. 



At the entryway of my homestay, the family is watching the outside event, the  Sumba dancing.

 

 
Grandma is taking a very active role, proudly putting together packets of desserts using her bare hands.
The bowls and spoons are made of banana leaves held together with tiny sticks.  My favorite was  the black rice pudding sweetened with coconut milk.

 
Sumbanese Dancers

No comments:

Post a Comment